It is the job of a law enforcement officer to write reports for the various cases he investigates. These incidents can be battery, assault, etc and will require the officer to write a detailed report regarding the incident.
The battery legal definition makes it very clear that the crime of battery is very serious. The punishments given out by the courts in such cases are severe and often, and will result in the defendant getting prison time.
Guidelines to write a police report on battery
- Firstly, you will have to provide the response time and location. Mention the reason why you went to the scene of action. This reason can be anything from being dispatched there to being the observer of a suspicious incident. Indicate the time the complaint initiated, as well as time of arrival at the scene of action.
- Write down the names of all people involved in the incident. Mention the full name, age, birthdates and contact information for the alleged victims, suspects and witnesses. Provide a detailed description of the clothing and appearance of the suspect.
- Provide a detailed description of the incident and explain how the battery occurred. Also, give details regarding how you reached your conclusion that it was indeed a case of battery.
- Write down all the information regarding the statements given by the witnesses of the incident. Provide detailed accounts from every victims and witnesses. When writing down the statements given by the witnesses, make sure that you add details on how they came to be at the scene when the incident happened.
- Ensure that you add information based on your individual observations of the scene where the alleged crime took place. Make sure that you provide answers to these four questions: how the incident was resolved, why you were there, what were the decisions that you took and the observations that you made.
- Last but not the least; make sure that you do not make any grammar mistakes in your report. Reading a report with poor grammar always leaves a bad impression about you.
- Ensure that you write down your full name and your designation at the beginning and end of the report.
The battery legal definition varies from one state to another. However, it is still a serious crime as it involves harming another individual.Google+